A friend's husband has had MS for at least 6 years. At home, he is in a wheelchair with a part time aide assisting his wife. Hopkins provides treatment, sometimes experimental. He had some spasticity so they inserted a pump to loosen his muscles. Now he is in a rehab center, trying to build up muscle loss due to lack of activity.
My friend called and said she'd like to get in a few days at their beach house; could I go over to the rehab center and feed him his lunch one day this week. Sure, I said but I dreaded it. Feeding a grown man the way you would a baby. Embarrassing for both of us.
I went over today, interrupting an OT session done on his legs in his bed. He was dressed only in underwear, looking frail and vulnerable, and I sat down and averted my eyes. I was relieved when the therapist finished the session and covered him up.
He seemed comfortable where he was but apparently it hadn't always been that way. Initially he was in a double room where the roommate watched TV all night (Food channel) and kept the lights on to boot. Incredibly inconsiderate. Fortunately our friend's his wife complained and pushed for more than a week until our friend was placed in a single room. You have to be a strong advocate - or have one fight for you.
This friend still has a sharp mind. He worked for NSA and told me Snowden was a Russian spy. Had proof. Snowden was bought when he was a NSA contractor, says our friend who is despite the MS, very level headed. Sounds plausible and rather fascinating. So you give and then you get. Life is a continual learning process.
No comments:
Post a Comment