Old college friends were coming into town. My husband made arrangements for lunch - they would come to our home. his assistant confirmed it, I put the date on the calendar and cleared other commitments for that afternoon.
The day before our date, I was out doing errands when I got a frantic phone call from my husband, WHERE ARE YOU? GET HOME. I thought maybe the house was on fire. Nope, just our friends who showed up the day before we expected them.
It was our fault. We had somehow gotten the date wrong. Ohhhhh, the friends were fine, they just said wait until they tell everyone else we know..... (update: they did.)
I took them to lunch. A place near us on the river. Perfect weather. We sat outside. They raved about the food, the proximity to our home ("Bet you come here all the time!" UH, no we don't), the view, etc.
They spoke of their recent move to an upscale golf community in (tax-friendly) Delaware not far from the water and how they loved it. Upsizing to a larger home!! They are golfers and he's a big tennis player. I know I would not like it. I hate golf and was lousy tennis player even during my prime.
Take home message: we never appreciate what we have nearby (the restaurant on the water near us), preferring to think others have it better somehow.
No comments:
Post a Comment