We have neighbors nearby who "keep to themselves', as the saying goes. They are friendly when you see them but they aren't chatty - usually. They were a big ally in our fight against the coyote thugs two years ago. They have a dog, no children and they don't seem to have much company. The dog is their life.
The husband had kidney cancer eight years ago. It has metastasized. Drugs have kept it at bay. Recently they put their house on the market.
He was walking his dog a few days later and said when I stopped to say hello that they were moving to a community south of Charlotte. Building a house there; she wanted it. He thought he'd volunteer with a dog rescue group down there. I didn't ask why because I knew. She didn't want him to die here.
Yesterday I saw her again walking their dog. Said I would be sorry to see them go. How was he doing, I asked. Terrible, she said. He had a procedure where they put "ice" into the healthy kidney; it was supposedly a benign procedure. He has been very ill ever since. The doctors can't explain it. I can. Someone made a mistake with that "ice".
Their house in Charlotte with be ready early. Who has ever heard of that - early, she says. I'll have to go back and forth between two homes.
She told me about the new community they will move to. It is one of those communities where you ride around in golf carts she said. Lots of clubs and activities. She'll miss the array of entertainment we have here in Annapolis. She'll miss the water. I'll be facing a whole new life, said she, and I knew what she meant.
No comments:
Post a Comment