Thursday, May 19, 2016

My long winded neighbor

Since arriving back in Maryland, we have seen most of our neighbors, mainly from walks with Zoey.  I like it that way.  Short, cheery chats, maybe some gossip, nothing too onerous.  Then I amble on, bye-bye, driven by my sniffing dog..

Today, of course, I spy the one neighbor who is relentlessly wordy. The one neighbor i don't have time to visit with.  He is 90-ish and still seriously alert but at least this time didn't hold me hostage with one of his stories.  He was gossipy and just funny enough. He's originally a New Englander.  My wife Jen (says he)....her name is not Jennifer.  She was born in Kentucky.  They only named children with three letters there. J - E - N. Her mother, too, was named Jen. Just Jen.

He ambled on, assisted by his cane, a-sniffing out the highs and lows on the neighborhood, then my neighbor turned down the next street and I had to admire him - that's a mile walk he had undertaken.

No comments:

Post a Comment