Last week I attended a birthday luncheon for a neighbor in our former Florida community. My husband was out of town for meetings. A very small group of friends gathered at a waterfront restaurant and I realized I was extraordinarily fond of all of these people. I miss seeing them, socializing with them. But the ranks are thinning. A good friend has dementia and she struggles to carry on a conversation. Another friend has a subdural hematoma and is on bed rest. Even when everyone is/was well we are just far enough away (about 10 miles) that we have to make an effort to get together.
Yet I love our new condo and it makes good sense. It is ground floor, handicapped accessible. We have a little garden in front and back. We have privacy. We don't know many people and we never will. This isn't a social, golf club community. I think many people moved here because friends/relatives moved here from New York, or wherever and told them about this community which is dog friendly. We have friends and family visit and get together with other friends who are down for the winter. It really is a nice balance. Not too much or too little. Still I miss the old crowd from the old community. But....you can't have it all.
No comments:
Post a Comment