Monday, June 18, 2018

Remembering an old friend

I have an old friend I don't see very often.  This year, while back at home I am making an effort to re connect with many friends we have almost lost touch with.  This old friend is one of them.

Today I called her.  She is going out to lunch with a mutual friend's son.  It is his birthday and the 10th anniversary of a horrific auto accident that killed his father.  The son had taken the day off and he and his father were driving locally during the daytime.  A truck ran a red light and killed the father and severely injured the son. The owners of the truck had no insurance and no assets.  His wife was left alone on a large property she had inherited from her parents, a beautiful spot on a river north of us. Somehow she coped but was devastated beyond belief.  This death was beyond senseless. She nursed her son, a single guy, back to health over several months.  He stayed on and lived with her, helping to maintain their extensive property.

Our friend never really recovered from her husband's death. I didn't connect with her and the other friend as much as I should.   Two years ago, our friend died and I dropped out of connecting with our other friend. My telephone call was a start in re connecting.

No comments:

Post a Comment