The first to go was our local Lord and Taylor in the mall. Like an old friend, it was my go-to place for a myriad of items including sportswear, cosmetics, etc. Items were more upscale than Macy's, more diverse than Nordstrom's . In my mind's eye I can still see the sections, including the men's items on the second floor. Traveling through the now empty space (in my mind's eye) is unbelievably sad. Then there was was the local antiques mall which had multiple vendors and just interesting stuff to peer at and exclaim over. I came back in April to find that gone. The building is still empty. Then today I passed a vacant Country Curtains store. It was the kind of place that had good quality items and a diverse selection. Gone. Vacant.
The worst was the closing of my favorite antique store in an older neighborhood that used to have many shops. The selection was upscale and tasteful. I bought our bedroom furniture there and other items. Last week I drove there (a distance) with a funny feeling in my heart. The historic building is being sold and the owner is doing some kind of periodic antique sales at a small stall place an hours drive from here.
Antiques I understand....but the other places are a consequence of Amazon. Still, who buys clothes from Amazon?
Me.
So more and more small and medium sized store fronts are empty. The days of "recreational shopping" and impulse buying are over. Damn.
No comments:
Post a Comment