I have a friend who has always pushed her experiences. Early on, she would take physically challenging courses (hiking, sailing, kayaking) even though she isn't the athletic type. That has gotten her (us) into some binds like the time she suggested we join a group doing an evening kayak tour. We were the oldest and worst paddlers in the group, leading the group's leaders to scold us somewhat when we paddled in late - waaay after the others. I'm just glad I didn't go on the hiking trip with her where she had to traverse a high and rocky part of Great Falls, Va.
When her much older husband died suddenly a decade ago, she waited a year and then joined (re-joined?) her synagogue. She took courses. she taught courses. Most important, she joined J-Date. That is something that takes GUTS. You have to be ready to face rejection, particularly when you lie about your age (they all do, she says). After meeting many toads, liars, skinflints and at least one certifiably dangerous man, she met someone she has been with for 7 years. They see each other on weekends and maintain separate households (her choice and a good one)
She is not a high risk taker, however. She tends to be cautious about most things. She thinks in terms of options and probabilities. Ultimately she pushes herself to experience life, learn and grow.
That's how I found myself at the Baltimore Zoo with her a few weeks ago. Her idea. I drove. She is directionally challenged and even with my Navigator, I had a hard time finding it. Not the best zoo I've been to but it has some good exhibits and enthusiastic volunteers. We learned something about bats and african penguins (not that I'll remember it) but it was good to say, Been There, Done That.
No comments:
Post a Comment