Monday, June 20, 2016

Advice at best is ignored

A call this a.m. from my husband's cousin's husband.  This cousin has had Altzheimers for several years, starting at a relatively early age.

We had called the husband last night upon hearing the cousin was now in hospice, expected not to last the month.  We left a message and the husband returned the call this a.m.

Husband has decisions to make, most notably about cremation versus burial.  Their priest had asked which he wanted.  They had never really had the conversation but he "thought" she said she was OK with cremation.

I remembered the old adage "Advice at best is ignored"

I discussed the pros and cons with him, never giving my opinion.  He thought a viewing would be nice since she knew so many people in their town, also from church and women's groups (who knew?!).  These people would like to view her.  I consider the viewing a medieval ritual held over from the days one had to be sure the right corpse was being buried or that the person was not still breathing and would be buried alive.  Every time I go to a viewing I have to take a deep breath. And. Walk. In. Slowly.

But it is a very personal decision.

All I said was, well, that sounds like it would be  important so maybe they could have a viewing and then a cremation???  He said something non-committal.  He just needed a sounding board...

A lot on his plate and a call coming in from his urologist as we talked.  Husband has prostate cancer (on top of everything)  and has to decide whether to go ahead with treatment.

No comments:

Post a Comment