Thursday, July 7, 2016

An Unusual Fourth

My husband and I typically don't celebrate the 4th of July in any big way. We almost never travel due to traffic, prices and general chaos.  Even getting to our downtown parade and fireworks requires shuttle buses.

This year we planned an especially quiet holiday since we had spent the preceding Thursday and Friday driving to an out of town  family funeral.

Our niece had just last week moved to the area after graduating from college and getting a job in a nearby engineering firm.  Thinking she might be lonely, we had asked if she wanted to come over for the 4th but she said she had college friends coming down.  Then on the third, she texted us asking what we were doing.  The friends had gone back home.

Well, our son and family were out of town and I wondered if spending time with us might be a little boring for her....But I invited her over.  She said yes.

My husband and I debated what to do with her....it was rainyish out.  We decided to go to our Bay cottage since we could have a picnic at the pavillion by the creek.  I raced out to Whole Foods for picnic food: crab meat, corn on the cob, salad, watermelon, cookies, etc.  Made crab cakes and prepped the corn on the cob, packed it all up.  She said she'd bring over a board game. Apparently they had a board game and wine night at her college.

We had a terrific time. The anticipated heavy rain was merely drizzly so we ate, walked Zoey around the community, talked with the few neighbors who were out, looked at the new osprey platform and played a board game called Packo (I think).  It was fun and something I could buy to play with the grandkids.

No comments:

Post a Comment