Saturday, July 30, 2016

At the Beach

How's this for contradictions?  I'm a water person but not a "beach" person.  I don't like the sticky sandy messiness of our Atlantic ocean beaches although I remember fondly last winter watching dolphins jump as I sat on the Gulf of Mexico beach in Florida.

Here's the difference: crowds and stifling heat and suntan lotion that congeals with the inevitable sand.  That's the negative.

Still, the "beach" for many Americans is the quintessential vacation.

Carrying this image in my mind, I drove to our son's place on the beach 2 hours away.  He was there alone with his two daughters (his wife was working and my husband was working on a deadline for large projects).  He loves the beach; the girls not so much. Too sticky, sandy and boring.

We did all the usual things in the 2 days I was there - boardwalk, ice cream, going down to watch the sunset and lighting those color sticks.  He is such a good dad and someday I hope the girls appreciate the memories he made for them.

No comments:

Post a Comment