When I first retired, I thought I'd have lots of time to volunteer. No way. Life closed in with other activities, including taking classes and I realized I didn't want to tie myself to a schedule any more. Enough with schedules! The closest thing was when I volunteered as a Park Ranger for our local Parks and Rec dept. Best part of that was no schedule. Sign in when you wanted to do it. Unfortunately, our old dog Rebe became infirm and I wanted to be with her more. So I stopped volunteering at the Park. I don't think they noticed.
Recently I had lunch with an old friend, a former music teacher who retired several years ago. She said, forget volunteering, this is my time. She has had a long and difficult marriage to a demanding, controlling, skinflint and workaholic man. Fortunately, he made lots of money working all the time and not spending any. She bought a condo on the beach many years ago where she spends every summer. He hates the beach. That solved her summer problem. Then she started taking world cruises every winter. He hates cruises. That solved every winter for her. She loves music and dancing so she started taking dancing lessons. He hates dancing. Problem solved. she goes on cruises alone or with her sisters or friends and dances the nights away.
The rest of the time, she goes to professional events with him, visits their out of state children and grandchildren, eats out at great restaurants a lot with him and in general has a live-in presence.
I think he has no idea that she despises him.
No comments:
Post a Comment