I was standing on line at Staples today, waiting to get some documents scanned and emailed. Took Zoey with me after calling ahead to see if she would be allowed in (they said yes). Ahead of me on line are two men. One, a tall skinny guy starts showing me pictureS of his reddish pit bull. She's really a pretty dog, said he. I agreed. People don't like pit bulls he says, but they can be the sweetest dogs. I agreed. I don't say I would never own a pit bull. He had a Boston Terrier but his ex wife got it in the divorce settlement.
A little old man in front of him pipes up. I've owned many dogs he says, just remember, a dog is the only creature who will put his own life ahead of yours. That's a beautiful sentiment, I say. I've never heard that before. He is pleased. A sweet sentiment but I don't really believe it. Dogs act instinctually. They have no cognitive capacity to choose their death over our own. Still, a sweet thought.
The store manager walks over, smiling. Are you the person who called about bringing a dog in? Yup, that's me I say. She beams. I wave to her as I walk out.
No comments:
Post a Comment