Yesterday and today I walked Zoey down the path to our little marina and then up the other path to an adjacent community. Along the way, a massive ancestral old tree was down, uprooted undoubtedly by the recent rains, not wind. It fell across both paths - ours down and theirs up.The root mass seemed shallow for such an enormous tree. Scary. The trees in that steep stream-bifurcated area are virgin hardwoods, probably going back hundreds of years. There was never any development there or agriculture. It's an interesting place, recently changed through stream restoration to prevent storm water from going into the river..
I often think of our old rescue dog Rebe when I walk those paths with Zoey. I would keep Rebe on a leash going downhill until we got past a steep embankment. I was always afraid she would fall over the edge. Rebe loved it. She would run free up the wooded slopes and back down into the old stream. Sometimes I would lose sight of her and get worried. She always knew where I was and would come back. I feel her spirit there. Those were good times for both of us.
I can never let Zoey off leash. She doesn't like other dogs. If someone's dog were walking off leash , I think she might fight them. Better safe than sorry. As it is, Zoey trots obediently ahead of me. Sits on the ground as I sit on a bench on the adjacent community pier. Pants, tongue lolling to one side. She is a black dog and feels the heat. I watch our neighbor over on our community pier working on his new boat. I yell hello to him but he is power washing and doesn't hear me.
I'm glad no one else was here at high noon walking their dog. I'll come back.
It was hot and humid out. We returned home within an hour.
Had to miss yoga today so that was a good substitute exercise.
No comments:
Post a Comment