Friday, August 14, 2020

My plumber

 I'm not quite sure how I found him but he is a gem.  A little grey man in brown work clothes, unremarkable. In his 60's, he is a throw-back to my parents generation. Calls me "Mrs" when everyone else calls me by my first name.

Hardworking, honest, decent.

I'm always amazed at how small his bills are. Bills on regular paper for amounts exactly like $121.52, including parts. I want to pay him right away but he always demurs, saying he will send me a bill.

Years ago he would have "helpers" for heavy lifting projects.  One year it was his nephew who then disappeared. He has no children to inherit his business.  No one wants to be a master plumber anymore anyway.  Years of work/study etc and in the end you are cleaning out toilets. 

Last year his wife was sick.  A heart condition.  He muttered about retiring. I called yesterday, hoping he was still in business.   I needed his advice on the sump pump situation at our cottage.  The young guy across the street who is a plumber was helpful but still I needed to run the situation past someone I trusted.

My old plumber called back today.  His wife died in April.  She was in and out of the hospital last year till the end. I murmured  my condolences. He said she said she had a happy life.  I said I know he was a devoted husband.  Then he veered off topic.  His wife always fed the hummingbirds so they expect to see her out there with her syrup .  He is using his wife's formula (sugar and water) to keep up with the hummngbird's expectations. ....and to keep her memory alive. 

He hasn't retired.  

No comments:

Post a Comment