Visits from friends and family bring a deviation from what passes for routine. Then there is the added issue of fading memories. Recently, we set off for Naples Botanical Gardens with Zoey and relatives in tow. We planned to leave early to beat the heat and crowds but my sister in law never emerged from the bedroom until after we finished breakfast. She had overslept. We left an hour later and I was trying to contain my irritation. I packed a bagel for her in a baggie to eat on the way.
My husband, in what only can be explained as an unconscious attempt to sabatoge the trip took the most impossibly circuitous route down there, adding time to the drive. Zoey had to sit on my lap since we didn't plan for her to not be able to fit on the seat with four of us in the car. Fortunately, she no longer vomits in the car. But she was panting heavily with the heat and anxiety.
When we arrived, I found I had forgotten my membership card, necessitating a trip to the window where the officious volunteer ladies reign. Then my SIL said, where's that bagel you brought for me, I just took some medicine and need to eat something fast. I looked in my purse, no bagel. SIL had to buy a scone.
The sun was high, the heat was uncomfortable. We didn't stay long. Off to a little pizza/subs spot for lunch. My husband wanted to pay but found he had lost his wallet. After a long trek to the car, fingers crossed, he found it had fallen under the seat. Whew.
Then we walked to the dock. I was annoyed to find somehow I must have left my sunglasses at the pizza spot since they were not on my head or in my purse. My SIL's sunglasses looked suspiciously like mine. But they couldn't be, could they? Then I realized. Hers were blue rimmed, mine were brown. Yup her blue rimmed sunglasses were in her purse. Guess what, so were the bagels I had packed. I had given them to her as we left the house.
After arriving home we retired to our rooms for what passed for afternoon naps.
What was interesting was my SIL had earlier mentioned in private that her husband was losing words and they had an appointment with a neurologist to check him out for that dreaded "memory loss". BIL seemed to remember things better than the rest of us.
No comments:
Post a Comment