Wednesday, March 1, 2017

Gratefulness

Had lunch two days ago with old old college friends.  It was a delightful day from beginning to end.

First, I had to drop Zoey off at Doggie Care and then blast up I-75 to our friends' golf community their community, South of Ft Myers.  I'm grateful I'm still driving.  I avoid it at night since my vision is bad but if the area is familiar, I can remember the road signs and be a fairly safe driver.

Arrived only 5 minutes late at their clubhouse.  My friend and I went to Cypress Slough and were dropped off by the husband who went elsewhere (probaly Starbucks).  No parking fee since husband went off and would pick us up.  No entrance fee. 

Cypress Slough is owned by Lee County and is an astonishing place with a long boardwalk over the "slough". Informative guide, perfect weather, just perfect amount of time (1 1/2 hours).  i took photos of snakes ( 3 different kinds!) and birds and learned quite a bit.  I'm grateful I can walk the approximately 2 miles of boardwalk.  There were people in wheelchairs but there is nothing better than walking and learning.  I'm grateful can still learn  - particularly about the trees, eco-climate, snakes, alligators and birds of Florida. I learned something useful - alligators can run fast for about 25 feet.  So now I'll be less cavalier about the alligators in our pond here.  I learned something amazing about alligators: their tails absorb heat to warm up their bodies.  no heat, they die.

So I'm grateful to be independent and pain free and able to participate fully in just about everything that can happen in retirement.

No comments:

Post a Comment