Friday, March 3, 2017

The Old Lady and her cat

I've never owned a cat.  Never have been particularly interested in them.  But I understand their benefits for many people : they are  independent and require less care than dogs while still providing companionship.  Secretly, I think of dogs as superior - more companionable and loving.

So today, I was at the vet's with Zoey, dropping her off for day boarding.  An old lady, shuffling painfully and slowly while carrying a cat cargo bag was coming in at the same time.  I wondered briefly about how such a physically limited person could care for a pet.  I opened the door for her.  As we waited, we spoke.  She told me her cat was a "cat of the week" in the local newspaper.  When she called about the cat, she was told it would be available for adoption at 10;30 a.m. the next day.  She didn't take any chances, arrived at 9.  Clever. She got the cat, named it Roger Rose, a beautiful reddish Persian. Who knew people would line up for cats?  Who knew someone who appeared incompetent was mentally sharp as the proverbial tack?

Lesson: Don't judge a book by its cover.

No comments:

Post a Comment