Saturday, March 18, 2017

Old and Alone

An email from a neighbor back home "up north".  Our film teacher, a free-spirited old hippie type of woman, was being kicked out of her home.  By her daughter and son-in-law!.  The story goes like this: film teacher had built a little house on property owned by daughter but they had never gotten along.   A neighbor reported a code violation and turns out teacher never had a building permit. County is telling teacher to move, tear down the house or move it but she has no place to go.  And no money. 

This neighbor knows I have a cottage that is unused most of the year. Maybe our film teacher could stay there?  I said no, cottage is not insulated, not suitable for habitation.  Bottom line, I don't want to rent or loan our cottage.  Maybe I should feel guilty but instead I'm wary.  I did call a few friends for the teacher but she has no money to pay rent.  How can you expect a stranger to take you in when your own daughter won't?

This situation made me think of the frightening situation of people with no family.  Friends of ours here in Florida have no children.  They live in a large home here nine months of the year, in New England the other three months of the year.  My friend said that her sister and husband lived in her community and that is why she and her husband moved there.  Then sister's husband died, then sister died.   Our friend said she never bothered to make new friends in that community since they were always a foursome.  She has friends but not anyone in the community to even greet.

Then my friend in Maryland told me she thought she might move to the East Coast of Florida to be nearer her youngest son who was married last summer.  Her reasons were compelling, particularly the practical awareness that her other son who lives near her currently is totally distant emotionally and her guy friend might pre-decease her.  Then she would be alone.  She explored the idea with son and guy friend . Youngest son isn't crazy about the idea and neither is the guy friend so my friend is deferring this decision for now.

No comments:

Post a Comment