I no longer watch the news, although I scan headlines. Coping with the unimaginable requires tuning some of it out. My husband works from home, then takes a late afternoon break to watch the news on CNN. I glance at the screen. A physician is being interviewed. As he waits to respond, he chokes up, almost crying. Then he catches himself.
Our daughter is a physician in a hospital that was transformed into COVID only. She said the thing that gets you is that people come in relatively healthy and then deteriorate rapidly. There is relatively little the doctors can do to help. They have been triaging patients for a week or so now, giving the ventilators to those most likely to recover, not the sickest. My husband looks at me and says, they will never give me a ventilator.
This, a first world power, has come to this.
No comments:
Post a Comment