It is hot here. Even in the early morning. I have been going outside to empty delivery boxes, pack up kitchen stuff in plastic tote boxes I ordered on line. Need to clean out the garage, even here. Packed up Zoey's travel bed and got rid of it. Too much in garage needs to be donated or gotten rid of. Kids beach toys they never used.
Zoey's vet wants to clean her teeth of tartar next week. I postponed doctor visit, not sick, quest lab results OK.
I'm busy all day!!! More laundry since I wash everything I wear outside.
Spoke with a former college classmate the other day. A mutual friend called me asking me to call her since this old classmate was bereft at the loss of her son (single, living alone in a distant state) and multiple dx of her brother, She is a widow. Husband died many years ago. Lives in the same house she and husband bought 50 years ago, 3 miles from campus. We worked on the campus newspaper together. She was a sorority sister. Really a lovely, smart, gentle person. I never saw her after graduation, and here I was calling her upon prompting from this mutual friend. It was a very pleasant conversation. Then yesterday, I got a call from another old classmate, also a friend of the woman I called, telling me she heard from the bereft friend that I had called. Did I know of anyone else who could call her? The bereft old classmate is very much alone. Lives alone. This dead son was the executor of her estate, spent holidays with her. The other son was off in Wash State. I got the impression they were estranged. I did what I could already...informed a mailing list of classmates, informed 3 former classmates specifically (by calling/writing). Couldn't think of anyone else. It is thin gruel.
I wonder how many other people are out there there in comparable situations. Alone. Almost totally alone.
No comments:
Post a Comment